The Vancouver Cantonese Opera Society proudly presents the Bamboo Theatre. Formerly the Richmond Multicultural Heritage Festival, the Bamboo Theatre, located in the Richmond Cultural Centre Plaza, will showcase a lineup of amazing artists and fun activities.
Visit the Chinese Opera tent where the an exciting activation that includes:
- Costumes Display – display of costumes for different characters. A Vancouver Cantonese Opera performer will be available to provide information on the history and characteristic of the costumes.
- Signature Chinese opera makeup demonstration – Unique aesthetic values are shown in the beautiful make-up and colorful costumes of Chinese opera actors. This session introduces and demonstrates to the audience the make-up of huandan (female) and sheng (male). This will provide our audience a back-stage experience of witnessing the makeup process of a performer before the performance.
- Demonstration of basic performance techniques – Stylized movements are one of the four essential elements in Cantonese opera. As the saying goes “one minute on the stage takes ten years’ hard work off stage”, the splendid performances of the actors on stage are not the work of one single day. In this session, Cantonese opera actors will demonstrate Ma Dang Zi (a set of actions with horsewhip) and watersleeves as to enhance their appreciation of the art of Cantonese opera.
- Parent-child Interactive Activities — Two parent-child interactive activities are organized with the themes Horse Riding and Water Sleeves. Participating and guardians will act as the leading young actor and the groom, or the young lady and her maid, under the guidance of the host. These enjoyable activities offer a wonderful opportunity for children and guardians to learn about Cantonese opera together by taking the roles of historical figures to explore the world of traditional arts.
- Arts & craft Activities — There will be origami, colouring, arts and craft activities for children to participate during